Hello. Could use a little push here. I just successfully created a Raid0
raid on my Storm Linux box running 2.2.14...no problems. Now I'm trying
to create a Raid5 on my RH6.0 machine. Different SCSI card and drives,
but same kernel. I can successfully partition and mount any of the 4
drives indiviudally, so I know they're okay. When I issue mkraid,
however, I get the following (I've seen many references to this in the
new groups, but most were in languages I could not understand :-)

# /sbin/mkraid /dev/md0
handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing super-block
disk 0: /dev/sda1, 1026599kB, raid superblock at 1026496kB
/dev/sda1 appears to be already part of a raid array -- use -f to
force the destruction of the old superblock
mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues.

# /sbin/mkraid --really-force /dev/md0
DESTROYING the contents of /dev/md0 in 5 seconds, Ctrl-C if unsure!
handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing super-block
disk 0: /dev/sda1, 1026599kB, raid superblock at 1026496kB
disk 1: /dev/sdb1, 1026599kB, raid superblock at 1026496kB
disk 2: /dev/sdc1, 1026599kB, raid superblock at 1026496kB
disk 3: /dev/sdd1, 1026599kB, raid superblock at 1026496kB
mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential
clues.

My raidtab is the following

raiddev /dev/md0
raid-level      5
nr-raid-disks   4
nr-spare-disks  0
persistent-superblock   1
parity-algorithm        left-symmetric
chunk-size      32
device          /dev/sda1
raid-disk       0
device          /dev/sdb1
raid-disk       1
device          /dev/sdc1
raid-disk       2
device          /dev/sdd1
raid-disk       3

Any suggestions?
--
Alan T. Malek
Systems Programmer, Technical Services, University of Kentucky