I have to setup Linux on Compaq Proliant server soon. What is needed is
about 18 GB disk space, i.e. RAID1 = 2x 18GB or RAID5 = 3x 9GB.
Proliant 400 is enough, but it cannot do hotswap which Proliant 1600
can do.

Now, if I go for a bit more expensive PL1600, how well hotswap features
work with SW-RAID?

Then, how much slower (not faster I guess :) Smart Array 221 would be
than SW-RAID (single P3-500)? And can I do all SA-221 maintaining from
Linux or do I need to reboot to dos? New official home
(ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/drivers/linux/) does not have too
much documentation..

On the other hand SA-221 is worth of Compaq SCSI 18GB hotswap drive so
if there is no real advantages having HW-RAID money may become important
factor.

If someone has benchmarks for SA-221 I really would like to see them.

Thank you!

--
Simo Varis -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]