Does anybody have a nice script to run tiobench through it's paces, and
collect results?  I'm going to try that SPARC patch tonight, and run RAID5
through it's paces.  I suppose I'll need to find a nice way to keep the
processors busy, maybe compiling something into /dev/null...

> 2) If the avg load on the machine is < 80% of (# of processors) you're
>    likely to have the spare cycles, even for DB and DNS
> servers.  Depending
>    on access patterns and usage, even the most heavily pegged
> DB server
>    may have the spare cycles as current access patterns
> bottleneck the DB
>    activities at other places (disk, scsi bus, whatever)

Isn't load avg just the number of jobs that are waiting?  My mail servers
have a load avg of about 5, but they're not at all CPU bound, it's all about
I/O.  Ahh, how I wish I had linux on that DS20 in the back room...

> A nice study of how load (both CPU and other I/O, like to a
> network PCI
> GigE card) would be most enlightening.

Well, our most heavily connected machines here have a single 100MBit
connection.  Anybody have some gigabit (copper of fiber) equipment they want
to loan me for some testing?  :)
        Greg