Ive been thinking about this sort of issue for a while.

I was recently reserching distributed filesystems, i consider raid over
a network is very similar to a distributed filesystem.

One mode i wanted to implement in my distributed filesystem (which hasnt
gotten past planning stage) was to support two-dimmensional parity,
(called hamming or huffman codes, i always get these two mixed up) ive
seen mention of raid mode 7 which maybe similar.

e.g. with two dimensional parity you could have the following situation

   B0
A1 B1 C1
   B2

A1, B1, C1 comprise what could be considered a normal raid4 array

B0, B1, B2 comprise a second raid4 array

So, C1 and B2 are parity disks, and A1, B0, B1 are data disks
With this configuration ANY two disks can fail and the data can be
reconstructed.

The more drives, the more versatile your configuration i.e. more support
for redundent drives or more data drives.

This sort of setup would be ideal for network raid as if a drive or
netowrk connection is down its no drama, ignore it and work with what is
available.

Id love to try and implent two dimensional parity, but im not that
confident of my coding ability (but i am improving my skills)

Parallel virtual filesystem sounds interesting.... might have to check
it out

Thanks

Glenn McGrath