On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:

> Just a short note to aid me in my recovery here: can I remove the disks
> from a working array, reset the board configuration, put them back again,
> and rebuild the configuration - with no problem? Should I also backup the
> configuration to a disk?
>
> I'm wondering if I can swap drives from the dead box to the working one to
> conclude if I've got a broken controller, or broken drives.

        Hrm, personally I'd be *very* careful when mucking w/ your config in
a hardware raid controller at all.  I'd suggest you back up *all* your data
before doing anything, and give yourself a fair bit of time in case something
goes wrong.  I have no idea how the Mylex handles these things, but I've
found it's pretty easy to wipe the config on a MegaRAID if you're not careful,
and I didn't spot an easy way to fix it, luckily I had backups. :)

                Stephen