On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Ed Carp wrote:

> > Does this smell the most of hardware or software? Can the nfsv3 patches be
> > so evil? Is driver 2.2.5 silently corrupting board firmware?
>
> Sounds like hardware problems.  What happened when you tried to
> reflash the firmware?

Well, I erased the config data, reflashed everything (and included a flash
update for the AstorII chassis backplane we were using) and am now in the
process of bringing back my backup from tape. This was quite inconclusive,
and I suspect faulty termination in the backplane (since the drives are
autoterminated LVD) or mangled cable (it's a bit twisted). Still, to work
for two weeks and die overnight - sounds wierd, and like I might have some
more problems.

Any idea if SMP might interfere with this at all? The other box is
UP and it works fine - has perfectly since I've started working on
it. Phoned up Mylex support and the tech answered it was probably
hardware, since the driver wouldn't mess with the online/offline state of
the drives. I've switched HS bays and I'll let it run for another
week. Got a nightly backup going to at least keep the developers
sane. Jesus.

Cheers,
--
_/\ Christian Reis is sometimes [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\/~ suicide architect | free software advocate | mountain biker