Christian Robottom Reis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:

> Well, I erased the config data, reflashed everything (and included a flash
> update for the AstorII chassis backplane we were using) and am now in the
> process of bringing back my backup from tape. This was quite inconclusive,
> and I suspect faulty termination in the backplane (since the drives are
> autoterminated LVD) or mangled cable (it's a bit twisted). Still, to work
> for two weeks and die overnight - sounds wierd, and like I might have some
> more problems.
>
> Any idea if SMP might interfere with this at all? The other box is
> UP and it works fine - has perfectly since I've started working on
> it. Phoned up Mylex support and the tech answered it was probably
> hardware, since the driver wouldn't mess with the online/offline state of
> the drives. I've switched HS bays and I'll let it run for another
> week. Got a nightly backup going to at least keep the developers
> sane. Jesus.

There are very few problems with software that can cause hardware to die.  The *only*
time I've heard of this happening is if you get the sync rate wrong on your monitor.
It's an axiom of programming that is occasionally not understood by non-geeks that
there should be *nothing* that you can do in software that would cause hardware to
die, occasional oddball stories about HD drivers notwithstanding ;)

I doubt that termination is your problem - let's look at this logically, shall we?
Did you change anything right before the problem surfaced?  No?  The fickle finger of
fate points directly at hardware ;)