> on the /dev/md2 raid volume, the /dev/sdb3 partition keeps getting
> marked as failed. This happens consistently after about 1.5-2 days of use.
> /dev/md2 is where I mount /usr/local on this system, which houses apache
> and openldap, so I don;t think it is a cron job, or burst of activity that
> marks it bad.

I had the same problem with a four IDE drive system.
One of the constituents of one of the mds kept failing.
I could raidhotremove and raidhotadd itself back into the md and it resynced ok.
Then it would fail again.
badblocks on that partition reported bad blocks but a low level format from BIOS fixed
the problem permanently.

Scott Thomson