Yo Vinny!

Hehehe, With modern DIMM and SIMM parity RAM == ECC RAM.
No need for pairs and no ECC is actually done on the memory
module.

Plain RAM is 64 bits wide these days.  Parity/ECC RAM is 72
bits wide.  The extra 8 bits are used by the RAM controller chip
on the motherboard.  Some really cheap chip sets can not make use of
these bits.  If you have the extra bits then you can tell your chip
set to use them as parity (error detection only) or ECC (single bit error
correction and double bit error detection).  ECC is obviously better if
your motherboard supports it and takes no extra RAM over parity.

Unless you beat your vendor over the head with a stick they will usually
try to sell you 64 bit RAM.  Go for the 72 bits and then your motherboard
(if it is smart enough) will warn you of RAM problems before tey affect your
system.

RGDS
GARY