> > Raid5 write performance of the celeron is almost 50% better than the k6-2.
>
> Can you report the xor calibration results when booting them?
sure I should be able to pull that out of somewhere
from the k6-2:
raid5: MMX detected, trying high-speed MMX checksum routines
   pII_mmx   :  1121.664 MB/sec
   p5_mmx    :  1059.561 MB/sec
   8regs     :   718.185 MB/sec
   32regs    :   501.777 MB/sec
using fastest function: pII_mmx (1121.664 MB/sec)

> If possible, let the resync's finish before testing... this can cause a
> huge amount of variance (that I've seen in my testing).  speed-limit down
> to 0 doesn't appear to help, either (although the additional seeks to
> get back to the "data" area from the currently resyncing stripes could
> be the base cause)
I did both tests just about identically.

> When looking from a certain realistic POV, it'd be hard to believe that
> even a P5 couldn't keep up with the necessary XOR operations... is
> there anything else on the system(s) fighting for CPU time?
no.
they were blanked - i didn't put them into runlevel 1 but I did shut
down everything I could.

they were pretty low load.

-sv