Hi,
> You are probably not using the "CONFIG_AUTODETECT_RAID" feature
> whereby you mark the raid partitions with a special parition type
> (0xfd) and then the raid arrays are automagically configured at boot
> time.

The raid1 module was missing in the booting kernel so the autodetection
failed. But it's now in thanks to Piete Brooks

> Instead, you (or your boot scripts) are  relying on "raidstart"
> to start the array.
>
> Unfortunately, raidstart cannot be trusted, it has a number of failure
> modes.  In particular:
>
>   - The device listed first in raidtab must be available.

exactly that was the problem.

>   - All device must be available under their original name (i.e. if you
>     have added a scsi disc and all your device names have changed,
>     raidstart will not work).
>
> I am hoping to get improved raidstart functionality into 2.4 (patches
> for kernel-side fixes are with Ingo) but for now you should make sure
> that you have compiled your kernel with CONFIG_AUTODETECT_RAID, and
> you should set the partition types of your raid partitions to 0xFD.

I have done this
Thanks

> NeilBrown
Greetings
Thomas
--
Thomas Scheuermann      Software Design Engineer
BARCO Control Rooms     Dr. Seufert GmbH

[EMAIL PROTECTED]