Scott McDermott wrote:

> LILO is stock RH 6.2 build (which includes lilo.raid and other patches
> according to the .spec)
>
> lilo.conf:
>
>         boot    = /dev/md0
>         image   = /boot/blah
>         label   = something
>         root    = /dev/md0
>         read-only
>
> boot and root are both on /dev/md0 which is sda1 and sdb1.
>
> LILO works great, and with verbosity, appears to write boot sectors to
> both sda and sdb.  LILO loads just fine booting off either sda or sdb.
> However, no labels appear (that is, when hitting tab) when I boot off
> sdb; only when booting off sda.  If I just hit `enter' when booting off
> sdb (no labels, but attempting to use the default anyways) I get a 0x80
> (disk timeout) error.  Again, everything boots fine if I boot off sda
> instead of sdb.
>
> My current workaround is to just dd the boot sector of sda over to sdb
> after LILO installs.  However, I would like to understand why LILO
> writes a boot sector to sdb which does not contain any images.  I have
> searched list archives and found nothing about this topic.  Any help is
> greatly appreciated.

How are you testing the sdb boot capability?  Are you taking the sda drive
entirely out of the picture (meaning are you powering it down or removing
it)?  The raid.lilo patch wasn't intended to be highly flexible because it
doesn't need to be.  If you are doing truly redundant boots using software
raid there is currently only one OS that you can do it with, linux, and the
lilo setup need only concern itself with that.  That bit of fact made the
patch *far* simpler than it would have otherwise been, and the net result is
that it will work fine (under our testing anyway) when the first drive is
actually physically removed from the system.

--

 Doug Ledford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before