We just made ourselves a raid5 software raid out of 7 60GB drives, using
the 2.2.11 kernel, appropriate patches, and the raid 0.90 tools. The
drives are all connected on the same SCSI-2 bus (we care about quantity
and reliability, not speed), which is obviously not a performance deamon
but should work just fine.

They problem we have is that it performed like a slug when resyncing -
about 4 full days! I understand this is 420GB but still.... that seems a
bit excessive. Also, the percentage till completion reported in
/proc/mdstat never rose above 12% - it would always drop back to 0%. But
the ETA steadily fell, and now it claims it's done... is it really synced?
Has anybody else had these problems?