Make sure your fstab and lilo.conf agree on what is mounted at /.
I've had some strange things happen when fstab said one thing and lilo
said another which resulted in the 'mount' command lying about what
was mounted at the root (but everything still ran fine).  Sometimes it
is helpful to put an empty directory or link or something on each
partition named something like 'THIS_IS_SDA1' as just an extra
indicator of what's mounted where.

Good luck!

Phil

--
Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil