Hello everybody,
first thank you for you help-mails. I started
the whole workaround once again beginning
with the SUSE-Installation. The Raid Kernel
Support is already included (2.2.14). Not so
the auto-raid detection (to be added by
the RAID-Patch).

Different ways to patch this new funktion with:
- raid0145-19990824-2.2.11 (from linuxdoc.org...daemons)
- raid-2.2.14-B1 (from Redhat FTP)
- raid-2.2.16-A0 (from Redhat FTP, with Kernel 2.2.16)
ended with an error when I tried to build the bzImage.

Nevertheless I had the Raid-Kernel and a clean installation.
The RAID-Tools (0.90 from 08/24/99) are part of SUSE6.4.

I built two partitions (efs2):
/dev/hda4       (4. primary partition on the Linux OS disk)
/dev/hdc1       (1. pr. part. on the second disk)
both with about 6.3 GB

I set up the Raidtab:
raiddev                 /dev/md0
raid-level                      1
nr-raid-disks           2
nr-spare-disks          0
chunk-size                      4
persistent-superblock   1
device                  /dev/hda4
raid-disk                       0
device                  /dev/hdc1
raid-disk                       1

and started:
mkraid /dev/md0

this is what the HOWTO said if I understand it
properly and this time I got:

handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing superblock:
disk0: /dev/hda4, raid superblock at 6361664kB
disk1: /dev/hdc1, raid superblock at 6451584kB
mkraid: aborted, see the syslog or /proc/mdstat for potential clues.

But there is no clue, it never showed any entries with any problem.
Did I forget something essential, again?

Horst

P.S.: If this works I try your workaround, Phil ;-)

--------