I am sure each individual has their own style for rolling kernels, but on
redhat systems my preference is after running "make config", edit the
Makefile.  I tweekt the "EXTRAVERSION" variable towards the top so I can
have multiple kernels/module versions of the same revision (ex 2.2.16-1
2.2.16-2 2.2.16-RAID).  Then for the install process run "make install"
instead of make bzImage.  This does a nice job of copying the kernel and
System map, then linking it nicely in the /boot directory.  The foundation
behind this is the /sbin/installkernel script on your box.

Debian has a nice way where it is very easy to compile the kernel into a
debian package, which can then be installed like any other deb package.

donfede