[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

> G'day Folks,
> My apologies if this is RTFM or previously discussed on list (I have
> just joined).
>
> We have implemenetd mirroring using raidtools 0.9 on RedHat 6.2.
> It is working well, but we would like the ability to do the following to
> backup a Lotus Domino server:
> 1. Shutdown Domino server
> 2. detach one half of mirror (preferably without using raidstop or
> unmounting the device containing Domino).
> 3. Restart Domino immediately  (running on "live" half of mirror)
> 4. Back up Notes partition from detached mirror
> 5. Re-attach detached mirror (again without using raidstop or
> umount).

may not need to do all that:

1. use the 'raidsetfaulty' command to tell the raid code one of the parts of
the array is 'bad'
2. tell the scsi code in linux that the disk is toast by echoing stuff into
/proc/scsi/scsi
3. pull the disk (if your electrical interface supports it)
4. put disk in another machine.

now you have a problem. you cant mount the new disk's raid partition directly,
cause the filesystem does not fill the entire disk, and the fsck may hate
that. if you try to start a new raid array on that disk, you may do funny
things to the event counter in the superblock, that will give you problems
when you stick the drive back in its home.

and, during this period, you have no redundancy on your server. so you instead
might want to investigate using a hot spare.

allan