a floppy seek. (Why does it seek the floppy?)

If I insert a floppy (don't ask me why I've done it!) the number
printed changes from 0x80 to 0x09.

I've found that at least another one had a similar problem (0x80 error).

After various tries I've succeded in installing lilo in the following way:
changed lilo.conf boot option to /dev/hda, run lilo
changed lilo.conf boot option to /dev/hdc, run lilo.

With both hda & hdc disk connected this works, but if I boot the linux box
without the hdc lilo writes
L followed by ones and zeros.

Does this mean that /dev/hda is lookin for the kernel image in /dev/hdc?

Is this a LILO bug or is my motherboard BIOS buggy?

Hoping not to have wasted your time..
                                        Ciao.
                Diego Liziero ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

P.S.: I've also tried the Red Hat patched version lilo.21-15  and the lilo-21
with the raid1 patch with the same result.