Hello,

I just try to install a raid5 on 4 disks. The system running is a SuSE
6.3 which has kernelpatches but seems to use the older mdadd,
mdrun,.. commands in the init scripts.
They Do have raidtools including mkraid and raidstart/stop, but when I
try to do a mkraid I get:

mkraid --really-force /dev/md0
DESTROYING the contents of /dev/md0 in 5 seconds, Ctrl-C if unsure!
handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing super-block
mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues.

Yesterday it at least listed the partitions (1GB each) but still
aborted.
mdstat doesn't give *me* a clue :-/

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [2 raid0] [4 raid5] <-- raid5 is a module which I insmod
read_ahead 128 sectors
md0 : inactive
md1 : inactive
md2 : inactive
md3 : inactive

there are *no* syslog messages at all.

/etc/raidtab is:

raiddev   /dev/md0
          raid-level      5
          nr-raid-disks   4
          nr-spare-disks  0
          chunk-size     32
          persistent-superblock 0
          device          /dev/sda5
          raid-disk       0
          device          /dev/sdb6
          raid-disk       1
          device          /dev/sdc2
          raid-disk       2
          device          /dev/sdd1
          raid-disk       3

# mkraid --version
mkraid version 0.90.0

I guess that my kernel patches do not match the raidtools I'm trying to
use, but the only pointer in my raidtools I can find is:
ftp://ftp.fi.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/raid/[alpha]

which seem to be all August 1999 or older.

Where could I get more recent versions and what raidtools would I
combine with my 2.2.13 kernel (I could upgrade to the newer ones like
2.2.17 if that would help, but ehich raidtool version should I take
with that?).

Thanks a lot,

Karl-Heinz

Karl-Heinz Herrmann