> I just try to install a raid5 on 4 disks. The system running is a SuSE
> 6.3 which has kernelpatches but seems to use the older mdadd,
> mdrun,.. commands in the init scripts.
> They Do have raidtools including mkraid and raidstart/stop, but when I
> try to do a mkraid I get:
> # cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [2 raid0] [4 raid5] <-- raid5 is a module which I insmod
> read_ahead 128 sectors
> md0 : inactive
> md1 : inactive
> md2 : inactive
> md3 : inactive
> I guess that my kernel patches do not match the raidtools I'm trying to
> Where could I get more recent versions and what raidtools would I
> combine with my 2.2.13 kernel (I could upgrade to the newer ones like
> 2.2.17 if that would help, but ehich raidtool version should I take
> with that?).

Sure enough, you've got an old version of the RAID code.  Hop over to
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches/ .  I've had no problems running
Alan Cox's 2.2.17pre13 code with the 2.2.17 patch from Ingo.  The raidtools
0.90 that you have should work fine, if you have any concerns just grab the
raidtools source from Ingo's directory (the one that says "dangerous").

Good luck.