Andrea Arcangeli ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote on 7 August 2000 16:50:
 >On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
 >
 >>Does this patch allow raid5 over raid0? That'd be really wonderful...
 >
 >Despite it's useful nor not, which 2.?.x?

The latest if possible, but the one your patch applies to if I have no
other choice...

 >In 2.2.x that's not possible but for _very_ silly reasons.

So can't this be fixed?

 >On 2.4.x we now have a modular and recursive make_request callback, that
 >will allow us to handle all the volume management layering correctly (so
 >if raid5 on top of raid0 isn't working right now in 2.4.x send a bug
 >report ;).

Yes, but it's useless because of the abysmal (absence of) speed. And
all the VM problems... The machine I need raid50 on is a central
server, if it stops everything else goes down. In fact I'm not using
2.4 on it precisely because of the VM/raid problems!! :-( :-(

If I can't do raid50 on our server I'll have to resort to raid10,
losing 50% of our so expensive disks...