Yikes, I think I'd have killed somebody for that one.  :-)

> I've written to many lists for help with this and received various
> conflicting advice and suggestions (many thanks to those who
> have written
> back so far!) So, I've decided the best plan of action is to
> start again
> from scratch with blank hard disks, a new reinstallation and
> to copy the
> setup as described in Boot + Root + Raid + Lilo HOWTO -
> however I don't
> understand how to create a /boot partition as well as a root
> partition.
>
> I would be eternally grateful if somebody could explain the
> logic behind
> this as well as how to do it :)

My logic behind this (others may have different logic), is to help out with
stupid boot loader issues.  Most machines that I've used have some booting
issues where they can't read past a certain part of the drive.  I create a
smallish (20MB), /boot partition, right at the start of the drive (to make
reads fast, but seek slow).  Then I use the rest of the drive, broken into
various parts, for everything else I try to store.
You create the partitions just like you would any other, usually by using
some breed of fdisk, or perhaps a specialized partitioning tool.  Here's
part of the output from 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' and 'fdisk -l /dev/sdb' on my
RAID test server:

[root@Socks /root]# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 259 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1         9     72261   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda2            10       259   2008125    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            10        13     32098+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda6            14       259   1975963+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
[root@Socks /root]# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 261 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1             1         9     72261   82  Linux swap
/dev/sdb2            10       261   2024190    5  Extended
/dev/sdb5            10        13     32098+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb6            14       259   1975963+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
[root@Socks /root]#

Well, on this one, I didn't follow my own advice, but you can see what the
partitions are (actually, I think that RedHat wouldn't let me partition as I
would have liked).  Hopefully that answers your questions...
        Greg