On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 12:05:02PM -0700, Sean Hefty wrote:
> >Ideally the best approach would be to have a mux at the ib_mad level.  We
> >could
> >allow a user space application to intercept all outbound MADs for a given
> >class
> >and/or attribute.  Unlike the present "snooping" of mads, this would
> >literally
> >be a interception.  This would provide a number of key advantages:
>
> I agree that this is a good idea, and I mentioned something similar to this
> before on the list.  The idea was rejected in favor of using standard SA
> redirection.

Actually, I think MAD capture is much too low level.

As in the other message, if we could have a rdma_get_addr_info style
API then it would wonderful to do as glibc does and trap that out via
a socket to a nscd-like caching/whatever daemon.

If the kernel was also fixed up to be able to take addressing data (ie a
IB PR set) for NFS and SDP connection setup then this same API could
be used to provide caching/whatever for the majority of cases..

Maybe someday? :)