On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

| On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 05:44:59PM -0500, Richard Frank wrote:
|
| > Would anyone like to through out the list of HCAs that do this... I
| > can guess at a few...  and can ask the vendors directly.. if not.. .
| >
| > It would be much nicer to not hardcode names of adapters.. but that won't
| > stop us.. :)
|
| Isn't it more complex than this? AFAIK the PCI-E standard does not
| specify the order which data inside a single transfer becomes visible,
| only how different transfers relate. To work on the most agressive
| PCI-E system the HCA would have to transfer the last XX bytes as a
| seperate PCI-E transaction without relaxed ordering.

I can't speak to the specifics of this on PCIe, but yes, by default
the pcie transfers within a single tag can be unordered.

| This is the sort of thing that might start to matter on QPI and HT
| memory-interleaved configurations. A multi-cache line transfer will be
| split up and completed on different chips - it may not be fully
| coherent 100% of the time.

HT is fine, by design, at least on AMD processors (probably don't care
too much about the older sibyte cpus, since they weren't fully
HT-compliant).

I don't know about QPI.

Dave Olson
dave.ol...@qlogic.com