On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:34:02 -0600
Michael Robbert <mrobb...@mines.edu> wrote:

> Interesting note! The 7024 is our large switch where all the hosts are
> connected, but I was told that we were sold the 7000D because the 7024
> didn't have a subnet manager. Unfortunately the 7000D has a different CLI
> and that command is not available and I don't have the password for our 7024
> so I can't log onto it.
>
> On another note I just noticed the uptime on the 7000D is just over 1 day so
> that must have been the start of the problem, but I have no idea why it
> rebooted nor why it didn't come up working. I'm pretty sure we tested a
> reboot of the device during acceptance testing.
>
> Oh, I just got your second note:
> ==================================
> BTW, I highly recommend running the opensm on a server instead of using the
> sm on the switch.  We found running the sm on the switch was much less
> reliable.  I also recommend using a server dedicated to opensm only.
> ==================================

I will second this.  OpenSM has come a long way since the time Cisco was
selling IB switches.  If I understand your situation you don't even need the
7000D you could just remove it and run OpenSM on a "management" node.  If you
can afford it adding a node for OpenSM would be nice but I am not sure you
_need_ it.

OpenSM is now managing many of the largest IB networks out there, on a 288
node system it will have no problems at all "out of the box".

:D

Ira

> I will take that into consideration, but we bought this as a "turn-key"
> solution from Dell. They designed it and we had no experience with IB so we
> trusted their knowledge.

<snip>