> A common method for handling this sort of thing is to randomize
> the retry timeout. It would be a good idea to randomize all timeouts,
> but the BUSY replies should probably randomize over a longer time
> period.
>
> Randomization prevents nodes in the cluster from self-synchronizing
> and making the load on the SA worse.

I agree that randomization would be nice, but I think we want even more than
that.  Part of the issues that we've seen with the current implementation is
that when a large HPC job starts, everyone and their dog sends the SA a query.
These time out around the same time and get resent, and the SA ends up
processing a huge number of duplicates.  The mad layer could be a lot more
intelligent and avoid sending more than a handful (1?) of retries (or even
initial requests) at a time until some complete.

- Sean