Hi Sasha,

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Sasha Khapyorsky <sas...@voltaire.com> wrote:
> Hi Hal,
>
> On 08:40 Mon 07 Jun     , Hal Rosenstock wrote:
>>
>> In order to better handle non responsive SMAs (when link is physically up
>> but the SMA does not respond), a rate based mechanism for SMPs is added
>> to better enable forward progress in a more timely fashion. So rather than
>> wait for timeouts and outstanding wire SMPs to drop below some configured
>> value, there is also a periodic rate for transaction based SMPs. These
>> rate based SMPs are capped at a configured maximum value.
>>
>> Two new options are added for this:
>> rate_based_smp_usecs indicates the number of microseconds between rate
>> based SMPs.
>> max_rate_based_smps indicates the maximum number of rate based SMPs
>> supported. When this limit is reached, rate based SMPs are no longer
>> sent (until the number of outstanding ones drops below this limit).
>>
>> The rate based SMP mechanism can be disabled by setting rate_based_smp_usecs
>> to 0. This is equivalent to the (current) algorithm prior to this change.
>>
>> By default, this mechanism is disabled.
>
> I would strongly suggest to rework the terminology here to make things
> clearer.
>
> Actually we don't have here any "rate based" SMPs,

Doesn't the timeout value pace the second limit of SMPs ? If so, in my
mind, that is rate based.

> but instead two mad
> injection limits (regular and timedout) and timeout value (which BTW
> likely should be a function of --timeout parameter). Isn't it?

The separate timeout for this provides finer control over pacing the
higher SMP limit rather than basing it on the transaction timeout. If
it is a function of the transaction timeout as you propose above, is
there admin control over it ? If there is, then there is another
config param to express this anyhow. If there isn't, then what hard
coded function do you think is appropriate ?

-- Hal