On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Sasha Khapyorsky <sas...@voltaire.com> wrote:
> On 09:02 Wed 09 Jun     , Hal Rosenstock wrote:
>> >
>> > All those SMPs are equivalent in processing, etc., the only difference
>> > is in MADs injection mechanism.
>>
>> And that difference in the MAD injection mechanism is rate based.
>
> IMHO it is not "rate based", but rather timeout driven.

rate = 1 / timeout so I think "hairs" are being split here but I'll
change it if you insist.

>> > So trying to differentiate MADs itself seems confused for me.
>>
>> I'm still not following why you say this.

>> > No problem to have this configurable for finer control, but in case
>> > when requested smps_on_wire_limit_low < smps_on_wire_limit_high we could
>> > want to have some reasonable default value for the timeout.
>>
>> The default in the proposed patch is that this mechanism is disabled.
>> Are you saying to change this to have it enabled with a default
>> timeout ?
>
> No, meaning that the default case is both limits are equivalent.

Equivalent in what way ?

> The timeout is less matter in this case.

So 3 configurables rather than 2 ? max_wire_timeout_smps (for the
second limit), max_wire_timeout (along the lines of what you propose),
and mechanism enable/disable (default disabled).

-- Hal