From: linux-rdma-ow...@vger.kernel.org
[mailto:linux-rdma-ow...@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Roland Dreier
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:24 AM
To: Aleksey Senin
Cc: linux-rdma; mo...@voltaire.com; aleks...@voltaire.com;
yift...@voltaire.com; Tziporet Koren; al...@voltaire.com
Subject: Re: When IBoE will be merged to upstream?

 > This is actually a continue of the RAW_ET(XXXX)  issue. We want to  > make a
 > submition  of the patches to the upstream, but there is not  > support for
 > IB transport in Ethernet devices, and the mlx4_en drivers  > version  is a
 > bit outdated 1.4.1.1 in upstream and 1.5.1 in the OFED  > There is also
 > missing VLAN support that already present in the OFED.
 > When do you planning to submit changes from OFED to upstream?

 - I do not search for more things to merge upstream.  I have enough
   work reviewing things that are sent to me.  So I will never look
   through OFED for changes.

 - I do not handle the mlx4_en driver.  Changes for mlx4_en should go to
   netdev and Dave Miller.

 - I will try to get back to the IBoE changes when I have time, and I
   will admit that my time to spend as RDMA maintainer is nowhere near
   full time and less than it was in the past.

 - I did allocate a fair amount of time to spend on IBoE recently but
   unfortunately the patches were not really in a suitable state to
   merge, and I exhausted that time slice before we reached the end.
   When patch sets sit outside of the upstream kernel and are shipped in
   OFED for months and years, it would probably make upstream merging
   easier if that time was used to fix the patch set.

 - Specifically for the IBoE patches, shouldn't someone have realized
   that having a device-specific interface to do the standard mapping of
   GID to Ethernet address makes no sense?
--
Roland Dreier <rola...@cisco.com> || For corporate legal information go to: