From: Jason Gunthorpe [mailto:jguntho...@obsidianresearch.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:37 PM
To: Liran Liss
Cc: Hefty, Sean; Roland Dreier; Aleksey Senin; linux-rdma; mo...@voltaire.com;
aleks...@voltaire.com; yift...@voltaire.com; Tziporet Koren; al...@voltaire.com
Subject: Re: When IBoE will be merged to upstream?

> The current behavior of ibv_create_ah() requires that the caller
> provide the L2, and if needed, L3 addressing.  Any translation between
> the L3 and L2 addressing must be done before the call is made.  E.g.
> ibv_create_ah does not use the GID to query the SA to obtain LIDs.
> Why doesn't IBoE follow this same model?
>
> LL: because of the RoCE spec, which states that only GID addressing is
> used at the Verbs level. The address handle fields are unchanged, and
> the L2 fields (e.g., lid) are reserved.  Note that in Ethernet, you
> normally don't specify L2 addresses at the transport level (i.e.,
> sockets).

We do not have to lavishly follow the IBTA spec in the Linux implementation,
especially if it makes no sense.

I think Sean is on the right track here, the AH should take the L2 as input
just like for IB, and the resolution is done in librdmacm, or somehow manually.

The verbs layer is not really analogous to sockets anyhow, the librdmacm is
much closer to a socket like interface, and it having a GID go into rdmacm and
a full AH with L2/L3 info come out seems entirely reasonable.

BTW, what ever was decided about vlans tagging? Is that part of the AH or do
you use seperate RDMA devices per vlan? Seems like a point worth considering
now.