> I'd really prefer that this not be seperate modules. I think it would
> be good to stick the core stuff as part of ib_uverbs. Especially since
> it doesn't look too big. For embedded you can have a
> CONFIG_RDMA_NETLINK or something. (For embedded I think it would use
> less memory to be able to forgo sysfs and use netlink entirely, someday.)

Well, the main reason for the module separation is to allow
extensibility and independence.
Code separation is just a bonus. I like the idea of having the runtime
option to use this interface (or not).
A part of the patch is CONFIG_IB_NETLINK, which compiles all of the new
modules.
What I wanted to achieve is an IB independent infrastructure that can be
used
in parts. I.e a plugin for every module (the first example is rdma_cm).
This way only the modules of interest are joined to the infrastructure.
The necessity of this flexibility can be examined of course.
> Ideally I think the netlink schema should build up from QPs and add on
> IB CM, and IB RDMA CM information seperately as appropriate. Getting
> info on non-CM QPs is very important as well, IMHO. Maybe the first
> cut only reports the RDMA CM QPs but the schema should support
> reporting everything.

I agree. That's one of the main goals.
For example, I have plans for adding ipoib exports as well as other
ideas.
> I'll comment on what you have specifically later, but just a quick
> glance makes me wonder if you reviewed how the 'ss' program exchanges
> very similar information over netlink for IP sockets when you designed
> this??
>
> Jason
Yes I have actually. Some ideas are from NETLINK_INET_DIAG which is the
back-end for ss.
There are a few differences here that made the result different.
I'd say this is a mix between NETLINK_INET_DIAG and NETLINK_NETFILTER.