I guess what I'm objecting to is hard coding mlx4.
I was trying to think of a way that would allow other HCAs
to support the block loopback option in the future.
It looks like ipoib sets IB_QP_CREATE_BLOCK_MULTICAST_LOOPBACK
for kernel QPs but this isn't defined in libibverbs yet.
It seems reasonable to add that feature some time in the future
and change ibacm to use it.

In the mean time, I guess I don't see an alternative to your patch.