On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 06:23:48 -0800
Mike Marciniszyn <mike.marcinis...@qlogic.com> wrote:

> The patch has been reworked so that the fields used are no longer reserved.
>
> The QLogic PMA has a vendor specific capability.  We are using the top
> 2 bits of the CapabilityMask2 to indicate the behavior is available.
>
> By not setting the bit 2 in the CapabilityMask, we are indicating that
> other PMA clients should ignore CapabilityMask2.

I'm confused, does this mean you never plan to support any capabilities which
will be indicated in CapabilityMask2?

There are only 2 bits left in CapabilityMask at this time, with a proposal
already submitted to use one of them.

I think it would be better to suggest to the IBTA to either A) reserve some
bits for vendor specific use in CapabilityMask2 or better yet B) suggest this
as a standard use of those bits.

Another option, if you don't want this included as part of the standard is to
use the Vendor specific class to communicate this information.

Am I missing something?
Ira

> As such no other tools should be confused by our setting of the 2 bits
> (because they should not look in CapabilityMask2 anyway).
>
> We purposely do not set the PortXmitWait CapabilityMask bit, this
> driver does not implement that capability.
> --

Ira Weiny
Math Programmer/Computer Scientist
Lawrence Livermore National Lab