On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:43:32 -0600
Jason Gunthorpe <jguntho...@obsidianresearch.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 01:02:45PM +0200, Or Gerlitz wrote:
>
> > Thinking about this a bit, will it be possible to provide a udev
> > rulethat can dictate to the IB core what name / suffix digit to
> > assign for a device with certain BDF?
>
> FWIW, I reflected on this once (I belive it was for the netlink
> discussion).. Allowing for a device to be renamed creates a serious
> problem for RDMA since there isn't a stable 'if-index' like way for
> software to refer to it.
>
> The udev rules all rely on a means to rename the device once the
> kernel has created it.
>
> For this reason, all the software I've built uses the port GID to ID
> the resource for bind/etc and strongly discourages use of the RDMA
> device name.

IMHO, from a user perspective using GID's or GUIDs is just too hard.  While the
port GID is unique across reboots in practice with 1000's of nodes in a cluster
names are much more useful and, at least here at LLNL, nobody refers to HCA's
by GUID.  They refer to them by hostname/card name.  This is especially true
when HCA's get swapped out for maintenance.

Furthermore, how would you propose MPI selects a card when the job is launched
on different nodes, chosen by a scheduler, from run to run?

Unfortunately, I don't know the details of the "serious problem" you describe
above but it seems that a udev solution to renaming things would be worth
trying to solve from a users perspective.

Ira

> The ipoib devices should already be renamable via udev rules, though
> has anyone checked that udev doesn't have a problem with the long 'MAC'?
>
> Jason
> --

Ira Weiny
Member of Technical Staff