On 01/30/13 18:48, Doug Ledford wrote:
On 1/30/2013 11:00 AM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
Which convention is followed for other packages ? This is what I found in
the Fedora 18 iscsi-initiator-utils package
(http://be.mirror.eurid.eu/fedora/linux/releases/18/Fedora/source/SRPMS/i/iscsi-initiator-utils-6.2.0.872-19.fc18.src.rpm):

* iscsid.init: Default-Start: 3 4 5
* iscsi-initiator-utils.spec:

Okay, first off, any package that still uses the SysV initscripts as of
Fedora 18 is not what I would call a package that is keeping up with the
Fedora packaging guidelines or Fedora technologies.  As such, I'm not
really sure you want to use it as an example of a good package.
However, that being said, you will note in this spec file that the iSCSI
initiator package does exactly what you removed, or suggested be
removed, from the opensmd spec file.  It unilaterally adds the
initscript to the system.  The default start/stop settings are
different, but the add action is the same.

All initscripts should be added to the system, regardless of their
default start/stop settings, and the default-start and default-stop
should be used to control *how* they are added by default, and chkconfig
--level .* <scriptname> [on|off] should be used to control whether or
not they are on or off differently than their default settings.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Regarding the purpose of the patch at the start of this thread: do you know whether it is LSB-compliant to use "Default-Start: null" or should "Default-Start" be left out entirely in order not to create the start links ? See e.g. http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/initscrcomconv.html.

Bart.