> The reason we're asking for these IBV_*_USNIC enums now -- before we've
> submitted the driver -- is because we're targeting getting our driver included
> in RHEL 6.5.  There's a bit of a chicken-and-egg issue here: they'll accept
> our
> patches for a new hardware driver while that driver is being worked upstream.
> But they (rightfully) won't accept patches to IB core and libibverbs until
> they've been vetted by the community.  Hence, even though our driver is slowly
> working its way through QA and not available yet, we wanted to submit these
> new
> enums upstream for community approval so that they can be included in RHEL
> 6.5.

I understand the issue.

In the end, these are kernel changes with no actual users of those changes...
But then they are also just small changes to a framework...

Just thinking aloud here, but what if we added 'RDMA_NODE_VENDOR' instead?
Then other fields, such as transport, become vendor specific.

- Sean