On 16/10/2013 03:04, Roland Dreier wrote:
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Or Gerlitz <or.gerl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Roland, after applying a small fix which was sent to you by Matan on
Sep 22nd + another tiny fix by Yann to Matan's patch (the two can be
surely squashed into one small patch), things are working OK. Yann is
suggesting to enhance them to work and look even better and for some
reasons (life) he didn't get to do that on the 3-4 months the patches
spent on the list and went through review of Sean/Jason/Shawn and you
(RD). I don't see how/why you use the term half-baked here.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, Yann's suggestion for enhancement is not
user/kernel ABI compatible with what is in the tree now.  Given that
we should really try to find an ABI that lasts for a long time, and
that we already have a proposal to improve things, shouldn't we hold
off on freezing the new ABI for one more kernel cycle?

Roland, Yann, the uverbs extensions + flow-steering patches spent many months on the list, once the review started we did quick fixes for all the comments and made it for 3.12-rc1 which was delay or two kernel cycles vs. what
could happen if the feedback was on time (*).

Indeed since we do want to have ABI that lasts for long, deferring the uverbs support for extensions to 3.13 along with flow-steering support to user space is something we can live with, conditioned on commitment of Yann to quickly submit his fixed patches that addresses the issues Matan raised and of you (RD) to pick them once Yann and Matan agree
its done into for-next so they are safe for 3.13

Just to double check, by no means we are talking on reverting the whole series, flow-steering will be in
3.12 in the IB core and mlx4_ib

OK?!

Or.

(*) ~Ditto for the IP based addressing series, I sent you detailed reply to your comments > month ago and not
a word from you, so another kernel cycles is going to be wasted there too.