On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Jason Gunthorpe
<jguntho...@obsidianresearch.com> wrote:
>> We can give client->add() callback a return value and make
>> ib_register_device() return -ENOMEM when it failed, just wondering
>> why we don't do this at first, any special reason?

> No idea, but having ib_register_device fail and unwind if a client
> fails to attach makes sense to me.

It seems a bit unfriendly to fail an entire device if one ULP has a
problem.  Let's say you have a system whose main network connection is
IPoIB.  Would you want that connection to come up even if, say, the
NFS/RDMA server fails to find the memory registration type it likes?

 - R.