On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 9:08 PM, Jason Gunthorpe
<jguntho...@obsidianresearch.com> wrote:

> Or, the question in my mind based on looking at the UAPI patches is
> what things should be driver private and what should be general.
>
> Broadly my thoughts:
>  - Should the frequency and mask be general, or driver private? If the
>    cycles->ns conversion is a function they should be driver private.
>    Even if they are general at libibverbs, they don't *have* to be in
>    the kernel's general query response.

If they are general in libibverbs, what's the point not to put them in
the kernel's general query response?

>  - Should frequency even be frequency? Most clocks are expressed
>    accurately as a period in picoseconds. Frequency is more often
>    imprecise. (eg ethernet is 3200 ps or 312.5MHz)
>    However FDR/EDR is fractional for both (4693.33333333 ps vs
>    213.0681818181818 MHz)
>    Precision is very important for time conversions, so a
>    multiply-divide scheme would be ideal.

>From Christoph's response I got the impression that our proposal of
exposing frequency and mask combined with raw time stamps excellently
fits typical user needs, so I thought we're good. Doug made a comment
that things look OK to him and the rest of the work would be when we
come to review the user-space patches.

>    This is suggesting to me these details really are not general.
>  - There should be much better definition on what all this stuff is,
>    units for frequency? When is the timestamp applied?

The timestamp is applied when the WC is generated, as Doug asked, we
changed the flag name to reflect that. I guess that the units for
frequency are MHz but I will check that and we can document it in the
kernel IB core patch and later in man pages.