On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 07:55:58PM -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> I thknk the raw cycles and the rought oscillator speed are fine.

Time keeping is designed to adjust for 100's of ppm drift between
clocks.

A communications clock source will be spec'd to be below 200ppm in
accuracy. IB clocks are below 100 ppm, and PCI-E is 300ppm (approx, I
didn't check, order of magnitue is close)

That translates into 0.0625 Hz. for a 312.5 MHz ethernet reference clock

Compared to 5,000,000 Hz in error from rounding.

So no, I disagree that rough is fine for anything.