On 6/10/2015 5:09 PM, Weiny, Ira wrote:

>>> It is a good question. We can clearly extend toward that, using a MGID
>>> as the DGID and adding additional nested netlink fields.
>>>
>>> However, does it make sense?
>>
>> If it doesn't make sense, then should MGIDs as DGIDs never be requested via
>> the PR netlink API ?
>>

> Why should we prevent it?  What does it hurt?

It's merely an optimization in that round trip to user space is avoided
with user space needing to perform some validation/lookup which would
fail in case multicast PRs not supported (which is case for ACM with
multicast backend).

If user space PR capabilities (unicast, multicast, both) is supported,
it affects the API. Maybe it's overkill but requires user space to
indicate no PR available for multicast DGIDs. I think this is the
tradeoff to be made/decided.

-- Hal