>it is hard to beat linux kernel [page] cache performance though.

It's quite easy to beat it for particular applications.  You can use
special knowledge about the workload to drop pages that won't be accessed
soon in favor of pages that will, not clean a page that's just going to
get discarded or overwritten soon, allocate less space to less important
data, and on and on.

And that's pretty much the whole argument for direct I/O.  Sometimes the
code above the filesystem layer is better at caching.

Of course, in this thread we're not talking about beating the page cache
-- we're just talking about matching it, while reaping other benefits of
user space code vs kernel code.

--
Bryan Henderson                          IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                              Filesystems