Bryan Henderson wrote:
You want to *use* the kernel pagecache as much as you can.

No, I really don't. Not always. I can think of only 2 reasons to maximize my use of the kernel pagecache: 1) saves me duplicating code; 2) allows me to share resources (memory and disk bandwidth come to mind) with others in the same Linux system fairly. There are many cases where those two benefits are outweighed by the benefits of using some other cache. If you're thinking of other benefits of using the pagecache, let's hear them.

You forgot the third reason (benefit), though it doesn't directly related to the page cache: read ahead. It greatly influences on the performance and a direct I/O application has to reimplement this logic, which generally isn't straightforward task.

Vlad