On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 16:15 +0000, Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)
wrote:
> Regarding changes like this:
> -                     printk(MYIOC_s_NOTE_FMT "[%d:%d:%d:%d] "
> +                     printk(MYIOC_s_NOTE_FMT "[%d:%d:%d:%llu] "
>                       "FCP_ResponseInfo=%08xh\n", ioc->name,
>                       sc->device->host->host_no, sc->device->channel,
>                       sc->device->id, sc->device->lun,
>
> It might be preferable to print the LUN values in hex rather than
> decimal, particularly if they are large values.  SAM-5 includes some
> guidance for displaying LUNs, shown below.

We can't really change from decimal to hex without causing confusion and
possibly breaking ABIs.  All the existing SCSI references look like
h:c:t:l and all expect l to be a simple decimal.  It's not just in the
logs, we have active use of this form in all the /sys/class/scsi_*/
directories and some tools may parse this value.

> One important goal is to match the format, if any, that the user must
> use in a configuration file or command line argument, so
> cutting-and-pasting the LUN value works.  So, the answer might differ
> for prints from different drivers.  If a driver expects decimal input
> values, then print decimal.
>
> SAM-5 excerpt:
> 4.7.2 Logical unit representation format
[...]

We're a bit bound by kernel convention here as well.  To retain
compatibility with SPI and flat addressing schemes, we really need to
show the 8 and 16 bit flat addresses as simple decimal numerics.
However, we *might* be free to move to a more hierarchical scheme with
the multi-level luns, since I don't think there's to many people who've
got arrays that output them (yet).

James