On 03/30/2013 05:53 PM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> On 03/29/2013 05:32 PM, Tomas Henzl wrote:

>>>   >  Do we do the same for the 64-bit conversion? Can a way be
>>> devised to
>>>   > was an option in the v1 patch set)?
>>> Yes, you can.
>>>
>>> The idea here is to let 'max_luns' control this behaviour;
>>> 'max_luns' is the highest LUN number the host can support.
>>> So for 16-bit LUN you would set max_luns to '0xFFFF', and for 32-bit
>>> LUN addresses you would be setting max_luns to '0xFFFFFFFF'.
>> Hi all,
>>
>> in scsi_report_lun_scan is max_lun compared with the result of
>> scsilun_to_int,
>> but in that value is also stored the address method. This means, that we
>> compare
>> the max_lun to a LUN 'handle' which doesn't seem to make much sense.
>> This makes that test dependent on which address method is used and not
>> only to the LUN number which is I think expected.
>> The solution is to have a new function 'scsilun_to_num', (I can send a patch)
>> or let the individual drivers set the max_lun to -1 and test for the allowed
>> LUNs
>> in the driver.
>>
> You sure this is necessary?

This is not directly related to your 64bit patch, I just 'used' this thread
to discuss another issue - sorry.

> I would like to avoid having to parse the LUN number for validity as we
> cannot guarantee this check has any meaning for the target.
> The only authoritative check can be made by the target.

What we can do is to decode the LUN and compare it to max_lun provided by the
driver,
I think that sg_luns is able to do that, so what is needed is just to follow
the SAM.

I have seen reports of problem on three different drivers connected to various
external storage, all of them having the same basic reason - the driver sets a
max_lun
and then LUN comes encoded with a newer addressing method and something like
this is shown
'kernel: scsi: host 2 channel 0 id 2 lun16643 has a LUN larger than allowed by
the host adapter'

Decoding the real LUN value would fix this problem, by decoding is only meant
the use in
scsi_report_lun_scan. The LUN would be stored exactly the same way as it is now.
I know we can patch the certain drivers too, but when max_lun were  what the
name says
- max LU number, it would fix my problem very easy.

> In the 64-bit context the max_luns should rather be interpreted as a
> 'max bits' setting, ie the number of _bits_ per LUN number the HBA is
> able to transport.
> But renaming 'max_luns' to 'max_bits' is a bit pointless, as it would
> break backwards compability for no real gain.
>
> So with my patchset we have a two-step LUN validation:
> - max_luns controls the max LUN number
>    (read: max number of bits per LUN) which can be transported
>    to the target

This means in fact only 32 or 64 bit - so a single bit flag is enough?