Back when the mpt3sas driver was first posted I suggested that it should
be merged into mpt2sas, but my proposal didn't get much traction.

Illumos has now produced a shared driver and shown that the difference
are basically limited to a different S/G list format [1], and a quick
experiment on the Linux drivers confirms this mostly - the additional
differences are various smaller workarounds for specific hardware
revisions.

I think we'd all be served much better with a merged driver.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.illumos.devel/17341