On 07/14/2014 05:10 PM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> On 07/14/2014 04:57 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
>> On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 16:39 +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>>> On 07/14/2014 04:17 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> [ .. ]

We have a strong 'upstream first' policy in our releases for new drivers
and for new patches, so in theory upstream could use the force, I still  prefer
a softer way that is discussing it with Avago(LSI) and getting their ack.

>>> Hmm. We (as SUSE) have been striving to have a 'upstream first'
>>> policy. IE for any new release the drivers have to be upstream
>>> before we consider including it in our release.
>>> This is most certainly true for the upcoming SLE-12 release, and
>>> also has been enforced for the current SLES11 SP3 release.
>>>
>>> This is official company policy, and has been communicated to all
>>> our partners.
>>> We do accept driver updates (ie patches which are not upstream ATM),
>>> but only on the understanding that the vendor will have to push the
>>> patches upstream eventually.
>>> If they don't the patches will be kicked out of the next release.
>>> (Which is what happened to the mptsas v4 release; it never made it
>>> upstream and so got dropped from SLE-12).
>>>
>>> However, this cuts both ways; we cannot go and tell our partners to
>>> change the driver if upstream hasn't done it first.
>> I'm not saying we need to go into why this happened.  Just that I'd like
>> community agreement amongst the distros before trying to force the
>> issue.  I accept that the distros respond to their TAMs as well as the
>> community, but if there's going to be TAM push back, I'd at least like
>> to hear about it so I can have a word with the relevant people.
>>
>>> So the push has to come from us (as the linux kernel developers);
>>> after all, we should make the decision what goes in and what
>>> doesn't. If a driver is in a bad state (and it's actually us which
>>> defines the 'bad state') we should be discussing on how we would
>>> like to improve things.
>>> If the maintainer proves unwilling to implement our suggestions we
>>> can always go ahead and implement a separate driver.
>> Then we need a maintainer of that driver ... remember this is a fat
>> firmware driver with a proprietary interface.  It's hard to maintain and
>> update without docs ... unless you happen to have an NDA copy?
>>
> Hmm. _if_ the driver is similar to the original one (which was the
> idea) it should be reasonably trivial to port the latest changes
> from the original driver to the merged one.

I think you expect more or less that after that new driver is created it
will be maintained again by Avago(LSI), so let us hear what they think first.

>From my point of view the not optimal thing already has happened, both driver
>exist
and both are included in our major releases.

The change is probably better for the long-term maintainability of the driver,
but from the distro perspective any switch to a new driver adds some new work,
because we don't want to remove any particular old driver which has been
included to
a major release.
That said, I agree that we (Red Hat) will manage the change, since it is the
better
approach for the long-term maintenance of the driver in the upstream".

Cheers,
Tomas