On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:06:53 -0600
"Serge E. Hallyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Quoting Chris Friedhoff ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > Hello,
> >
> > in updating the documetation http://www.friedhoff.org/posixfilecaps.html
> > I noticed a change in the behavior.
> >
> > There was the behavior, when the extended attribute capability was
> > present but with empty sets, even a suid-0-bit binary was not having
> > the right to request a call for which capabilities in-kernel are
> > defined. suid-0-bit ping with an empty capability set provoked an EPERM
> >
> > Now, when the extended attribute is present but empty and for ping - as
> > an example - cap_net_raw is not granted, root-power overrules the lack
> > of the necessary capability.
> >
> > Shall the presents of file capability constrain root power or shall
> > root power overrule file capability?
>
> I think the only rule we can reasonably use is:  existing setuid
> semantics shall not be adversely affected by capabilities.
>
> So when !issecure(SECURE_NOROOT), then a setuid root binary should
> always run with all root privileges (barring capability bounding
> sets).  However if issecure(SECURE_NOROOT), then a setuid root binary
> should run with no special privileges.  But I don't expect anyone to
> really use that until Andrew Morgan resubmits the per-process
> SECURE_NOROOT patch.
>
> My question is - when did it ever behave differently??
>
> -serge

I think it was around one year ago, when I was documenting this
behavior. I was able to reproduce this behavior with

kernel 2.6.20.21
implement-file-posix-capabilities.patch
file-capabilities-dont-do-file-caps-if-mnt_nosuid.patch
libcap-1.10-25.kg.3

the patches are from:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.20/2.6.20-mm2/broken-out/

Admittedly, at that time I probably hadn't seen

file-capabilities-honor-secure_noroot.patch

which allows (since than ?) root to keep its capabilities instead
considering the present of file capabilities.

Bottom line: No questions, I'm content and I learned something I wasn't
aware of

Chris