Quoting Andrew G. Morgan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> Andrew,
>
> Just to be clear, I'm not sure I agree that I'm hiding anything!
>
> I've tried very hard to limit this functionality to only being enabled
> if the still experimental LSM CONFIG_SECURITY_FILE_CAPABILITIES is yes.
> I've also arranged for all of the relevant support code to be inside an
> LSM.
>
> However, I'll do as you say - extend the comment and fix the thinko
> pointed out by Serge, and resubmit to more than the LSM list.

Cool, I'd certainly say it's ready, and please feel free to add

Acked-by: Serge Hallyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

at this point.  Of course Andrew Morton's fears are not uncalled for,
the whole trouble with subtle security interactions is that they're
subtle :) and easy to miss.  For what it's worth I'll run a few ltp
tests against your next version and try to verify that there are no
changes, and no changes when composed with selinux.

thanks,
-serge

> Cheers
>
> Andrew
>
> Andrew Morton wrote:
> | On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:02:30 -0800 "Andrew G. Morgan"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> |
> |> With filesystem capabilities it is now possible to do away with
> |> (set)uid-0 based privilege and use capabilities instead.
> |>
> |> Historically, this was first attempted with a kernel-global set of
> |> securebits. That implementation, however, proved problematic, and has
> |> slowly whithered in the kernel. Prior to this patch, there remained no
> |> interface for manipulating the securebits - and thus no interface for
> |> suppressing root as all-capable.
> |>
> |> This patch reimplements securebits, with bit locking, as a per-process
> |> value. (To avoid increasing the per-task footprint of this change,
> |> I've merged the implementation of the per-process keep_capabilities
> |> bit with the per-process securebits value.)
> |>
> |> A process can now drop all legacy privilege (through uid=0), for
> |> itself and all of its fork()'d/exec()'d children with:
> |>
> |>   prctl(PR_SET_SECUREBITS, 0x2f);
> |>

> | This is the sort of patch which strikes terror into many hearts.  Please,
> | it cannot be hidden over on the lsm list.  I'll assume that this
> version is
> | an rfc/rfr for now and will cheerily delete it.
> |
> | For the next version, please do circulate it more widely.  It will
> need careful
> | explanation and review.
> |
> | I think it would be useful for this patch's changelog to give us a little
> | recap of what went wrong with capabilities, if that's possible (and if
> it's
> | relevant).  What was the bug which caused us to cripple capability
> | inheritance (some sendmail thing?) and why was that bug considered
> unfixable
> | at the time and by what means does this new code avoid the same old bug?
> |
> | A bit more changelog-for-dummies would be nice, too.  This particular
> dummy
> | doesn't understand why/how fs-caps made it possible for us to start using
> | capabilities properly.
> |
> | And last, but by no means least: s/whither/wither/ ;)
> |
> | Thanks.
> -
> linux-security-module" in
-