We are developing an application that needs an interface to a satellite
communications modem (5 kHz DAMA).  The modem requires synchronous
communications and uses modem control lines, RTS and CTS, for accepting
input data from the application.  The host platform for the application
is Windows NT.  An NT solution would need to include a synchronous
serial device (ISA, PCI, or PCMCIA) and an NT kernel mode device driver.
We identified several candidate devices but none with NT device drivers.
I found the list of NT device driver development requirements, i.e.,
versions of NT, development subscriptions, toolkits, etc. a bit more
than I wanted to deal with.  Since we have not been able to find an NT
solution for the required interface we have been exploring Linux
possibilities.

I developed a pipe-like application that passes data between a socket
and a serial device to allow the NT application to talk to the modem
over a network.  Our current test suite utilizes this pipe-like
application running on a Linux box that talks asynchronously, using the
linux serial driver, to the modem via a synch/async converter. This
works fine except for the start and stop bits inserted in the
synchronous data stream.  Other devices that our application will
communicate with will be synchronous and won't know what to do with the
asynch framing bits.

We have concluded that we should build/buy a synchronous serial device
and Linux device driver.  While writing a device driver is far removed
from my expertise I have bought Rubini's book and I'm entertaining the
thought of making the attempt.

I don't really want do reinvent the wheel.  Does anyone know of an
existing synchronous serial device and driver that we should
investigate?

My approach to device driver development will be to start with an
existing driver, e.g., serial.c and modify it for the TBD synchronous
device.  What are the pitfalls with this approach?

I noticed that some of the Linux network device drivers support
synchronous devices.  If I do attempt to write a driver would it be
better to start with one of the network drivers or the serial driver?

Do software toolkits that support Linux device driver development exist?

Can anyone recommend sources: information, people, and/or companies that
might help?

Any comments, requests for clarification, and/or corrections about
faulty statements are also welcome.

-- john